Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quote of the Month

Promotions are based on merit at universities; however, it has been interesting to note that at Canterbury University the number of women in the position of associate professor has recently more than doubled following an internal complaint by female staff members to the Human Rights Commission. The complaint regarded a ‘male-dominated university culture’ where women struggled to progress. Eight female promotions to associate professor took the total of women in that position to 14.
From an NZ Ministry response to an OECD 2005 questionnaire on women in scientific careers.


  1. P.S. The figure of 14 is across the board. Physics is far worse.

  2. P.P.S. And despite NZ's good record on women's issues (first country to give women the vote etc), the same report lists the percentage of women in temporary positions in, eg., Forest Research at 12.5%, compared to just 1% for men (the other 99% of men have permanent positions). Physics figures are not available, but I can assure you that they are worse.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.